Carrying and handling heavy luggage can put you at risk for back strains and other injuries that could easily be prevented. Here are 5 Holiday Travel Tips to help reduce back problems and move safely as you head out for the holiday.
- Buy the right luggage: Look for pieces that are lightweight and not bulky– and consider packing in several smaller bags vs. one large one.
- Lift bags properly: Stand alongside your luggage when lifting it, bending at the knees and lifting with your leg muscles. Then hold it close to your body.
- Avoid twisting: It’s tempting to twist when lifting and carrying your luggage—but it’s a common cause of injury. The better route is to point your toes in the direction you’re going, and turn your entire body in that direction. Also, carry luggage in both hands rather than one hand off to the side in order to decrease spinal stress.
- Don’t drag rolling suitcases up the stairs. Always carry them up, instead.
- Use a back pack: Find a good quality one and be sure to use both straps rather than slinging it over one shoulder. Don’t fill it more than 10-15% of your bodyweight— and even less if you are prone to back problems.